Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Is this really happening?

I find it hard to believe that this is happening.  On October 9,  I met with my Rector and priest-in-charge and shared with her my sense of calling into the diaconate.  We had a really good conversation.  She referred me to the diocesan website, which I had already visited and told me to print out the nomination form for Holy Orders.  That same day, I was officially trained by my parish to be a Lay Eucharistic Minister (LEM).  Essentially LEMs assist the priest with serving communion during mass and also takes communion out with the sick and infirmed.  I've already served at St. Mary's during the Bishop's visitation, and am scheduled to serve again in December for the Christmas Eucharist.

I am fortunate enough to be a part of two vibrant communities of faith.  I teach at an Episcopal girls school with a full-time episcopal chaplain on staff and in-residence, and my church home, St. Ambrose Episcopal Church.  After prayer and contemplation, I decided that it would be best that I begin my quest for holy orders through St. Mary's Chapel.  I have spoken with both my former and current chaplains and they are esctatic for me.  St. Mary's is where I was first introduced to the Episcopal Church and I have access to my chaplain five days a week. Her office is literally under mine.  My discernment committee will be comprised of students and collegues from St. Mary's as well as some of my church members from St. Ambrose.

I've just jumped through the first hoop of my nomination to Holy Orders.  As of October 19, 2010, my nomination form was filled out by the Reverend Ann Bonner-Stewart.  The nomination form was mailed to the Diocesan house attentioned to the Bishop, a month and some change before the deadline of the first Sunday in Advent.  This is only the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment